Topics will include (Tentative list)
• Models for Scalable Coding of Multimedia Streams (layered, FGS, MDC, ...)
• Adaptive Multimedia Streaming
• Synchronization Schemes
• Streaming to Wireless and Mobile Devices
• Methods for adaptive streaming over wired and wireless networks
• Security of Scalable Multimedia Streams
• Implementation of Multimedia Systems (protocols, packetization, client buffering, server design, ...)
This course is designed for students who are interested in doing research or more advanced topics in P2P systems, multimedia computing and networking. A primary focus of the course will be on scalable, adaptive multimedia streaming to heterogeneous clients and P2P applications over the Internet. Students are expected to read research papers, give presentations and write reports. The assessment will also be partially based on class participation. There will be no examinations.
There are no required textbooks in this course. Many of the readings in this course are from online conference proceedings and journals.